The Following Questions Were Asked To Sheikh Saleh al Fawzaan
Questions asked to the Scholars this Week The following questions were asked to Sheikh Saleh al Fawzaan July 5th / Jamadu thani 9 1427)
1. How does and man with more than one wife divide his day? Does the wife’s time begin at fajr or when?
Sheikh Fawzaan: He stays with her at night. He goes to work in the day and stays with her at night. Questioner: Does that mean her time begins at magrib time? Sheikh Fawzaan: Yes.
2. Is it permissible for the poor Muslims of America and other western countries to seek financial assistance from their governments?
Sheikh Fawzaan: Yes, as long as the money is halaal.
3. Most masaajid in America are funded by the Muslim community itself, with this being the case, is it permissible for the administration of the masjid to seek funds for the expenses of the masjid from the community? Can this be done in the masjid after the five daily prayers?
Sheikh Fawzaan: Yes, this can be done for the expenses of the masjid.
4. If a female enters into Islam in a western country and she has no Muslim male relative, if there is no Muslim community near her or if there is no community that is upon the correct methodology near her, can she move to a different community traveling without a mahram?
Sheikh Fowzan: She should travel with a non-Muslim male mahram.
5. We have heard that some scholars or students of knowledge have said it is permissible for a female to travel on a plane without a mahram if her mahram accompanies her to the airport and another mahram meets her in her place of destination, is this correct?
Sheikh Fowzan: (They say that) but the Messenger (sallahu alayhi wa salem) said: ((No believing female travels without a mahram!!)) Whoever says other than this is mistaken and incorrect.
6. If a person seeks knowledge on the internet by listening to live lessons, can this person be considered a student on knowledge?
Sheikh Fowzan: No, he/she is not a student of knowledge
These questions were posed to Sheikh Saleh al Fowzan July 8, 2006 / Jamadul al Akhir 12, 1427)
1. If a man fornicates with a female, the female later has children for him then they both become Muslim and marry, do the children now become his rightful children? Or are they still considered children of the bed?
Sheikh Fowzan: He can not marry her until he makes tawbah and until she waits the prescribed time (three months). Only then can he marry her and the children are still not considered his. They take her family name not his. Questioner: If this brother then chooses to marry another wife, does his second wife have to cover in front of the boys he had before marriage (children of the bed)? Sheikh Fowzan: Yes she does
2. Is it correct that so many books are translated into other languages?The reason for the question is that today, we find so many books being translated and this hinders people from taking time to learn arabic. What is your opinion in this regard?
Sheikh Fowzan: If a person has the ability, they must learn Arabic. It is the language of the Quran, they must learn it if they have the ability. If a person doesn’t have the ability to learn Arabic, there is no problem in reading translated books.
3. If a poor man has more than one wife and he is not able to pay rent for two apartments, is it permissible for him to join two wives in one apartment?
Sheikh Fowzan: If the wives agree to this. Questioner: And if they don’t? Sheikh Fowzan: Then it is not permissible for him to do so.
The following questions were asked to Sheikh Abdullah Al Ghudayan rahimahullaah
1. If a Muslim has a debt with another Muslim and that individual dies (the one who the debt should be paid to), what should the ower of the debt do with the money? Sheikh Ghudayan: How much is the debt? Questioner: around $700 Sheikh Ghudayan: They should spend it in the way of Allah. They should put it toward the building of a masjid. What is important is that they use it in the way of Allah.
2. If a person obtains a job in a specific field based on him having a degree, but the degree was purchased and he never studied in the university, is his salary halaal and what should he do? Sheikh Ghudayan: (He said something i couldn’t understand) then he said, how could this be when the Messenger (sallahu alaihi wa salem) said: ((Whoever cheats us is not from us!!)) Just imagine if a person married you his daughter and told you she was a virgin, then you find out after 5yrs she was married five times before you! How would you feel?!! This is not permissible. And he won’t do the work correctly either.
3. A man works in a factory and he has certainty that this factory produces goods that are sold to beer companies, is it permissible for him to work for this factory? Sh. Ghudayan: No it isn’t. Then the sheikh asked where I was calling from. This is something that makes the questioner happy that the sheikh has interest in those whom he speaks with. May Allah bless our scholars.
July 9, 2006 / Jamadul Thani 13, 1427 1.
A Muslim owns a store, and hires a non-Muslim to work there. Is it permissible for the store to be open during the time of Jum’aa prayer, while the Muslim owner attends the prayer? Answer: The store should be closed ( during Jum’aa prayer) to show the kufaar the sacredness of our religion and this day. (Sheikh Ahmed An Najmee)
2. In the west, the Muslim women where the color black, but this color attracts attention to her. Is it permissible for her to wear dark colors like dark blue or dark brown? Answer: Does wearing black bring harm to her? Questioner: It may not exactly bring harm, but people look at her and think she’s crazy because she’s wearing black. The Sheikh: If there’s no harm brought to her, she should wear black and the kufaar in those countries should learn that this is the dress of a Muslim female.
(Sheikh Ahmed An Najmee) July 18 & 19, 2006 /Jamadul Thani 22 &23, 1427 3.
If a man divorces his wife and she has his child which is still breastfeeding, does he continue to support her and the child, or just the child (diapers, clothes, etc)? Answer: He continues to support her and the child because of the ayat in surah Talaq, ayat 6. Also, breastfeeding is not obligatory on her, so if she breastfeeds, he has to give her expenses and she spends it on herself. (Sheikh Abdullah Al Ghudayan)
4. Some women leave their homes with long abayas without wearing socks. When something is said to them in this regard, they inform that the abaya is long so there is no need to cover their feet with socks. What is your opinion? Answer: This is not permissible. They must wear socks. (Sheikh Abdullah Al Ghudayan) Note: The same question was asked to Sheikh Ahmed An Najmee , They hold the opinion that if the abaya is long enough, then this is sufficient.
5. Some women wear an abaya or jilbab that has sleeves that are somewhat tight around there arms. Is this permissible? Answer: This is not permissible. (Muftee of Saudi Arabia) .
6. If a man combs his beard and hair falls out, is there any sin on him? Answer: No sin falls on him.
Muftee of Saudi Arabia) July 24, 2006 / Jamadul Thani 28, 1427 7.
If a man marries a women without the presence of the two witnesses, what is upon them?
Answer: They have to repeat the marriage and inshAllah, there is no sin on them. (Sheikh Abdullah Al Aqeel) ( last living student of Sheikh Abdur Rahman As S’adee)
8. When a man wants to divorce his wife, does he have to have two witnesses present, or is it ok for him to divorce her, and then call the witnesses and inform them of what he has done?
Answer: It’s ok for him to call them and inform them of the divorce. (Sheikh Abdullah Al Aqeel)
9. A Muslim has a debt to a non-Muslim, before paying the debt, the non-Muslim dies, what shoud the Muslim do with the money? Answer: They should give the money to the government, or spend it in charity. (Sheikh Abdullah Al Aqeel)
10. Is it ok to place pictures on the walls of my home. These pictures are not images of things with a soul (trees, flowers, etc)? Answer: This falls into another form of haraam and that is wasting money for no benefit. (Sheikh Abdullah Al Ghudayan) .
11. If a Muslim migrates from America to another land, can he be considered a muhaajir (migrater) by holding an iqamah (residence permit), or does he need to receive the nationality of that country before he is considered muhaajir? (From what the Sheikh said) A general answer can not be given for this question. The situation of the person has to be studied and looked into. The situation of the country he is migrating from. Many affairs have to be studied before answering such a question. (Sheikh Abdullah Al Ghudayan)
We ask Allah to preserve our scholars that are still present and to have mercy on those who have passed away. Ameen.
Mustafa George. Ruwais, United Arab Emirates